Pocket Watch Database
Columbus Watch Co.
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Years of Operation: 1874-1903
Purchased by South Bend Watch Co., 1903
Production Jewels: 7-25 Jewels
Production Sizes: 18s, 16s, 6s, 4s
Total Production: 500,000+
Factory Building Status: The front part of the factory is still standing and is currently utilized as an office rental property.
Serial Number Lookup
A factory to house operations for the Gruen & Savage is constructed in Columbus, Ohio.
November 18, 1882
The Columbus Watch Co. is organized by Detrich Gruen in Columbus, Ohio with a capital of $150,000. The company is created from the firm of Gruen & Savage, whom previously imported movements from Sitzerland and finished them for the American market.
The Columbus Watch Co. moves to the factory previously occupied by Gruen & Savage, located at 79 East Thurman Ave.
The Columbus Watch Co. is producing roughly 150 movements per day and employs 300 people.
After financial failure, the Columbus Watch Company is reorganized as the New Columbus Watch Company.
The Columbus Watch Co. is sold and becomes the South Bend Watch Co.