Location: Rockford, Illinois
Years of Operation: 1873-1915
Production Jewels: 7-24 Jewels
Production Sizes: 18s, 16s, 12s, 6s, 8s, 0s
Total Production: ~1,000,000
Factory Building Status: Still standing. Currently vacant.
Originated using quipment purchased from Cornell Watch Co.
The Rockford Watch Co. is organized in Rockford, Illinois with capital of $150,000 by Hosmer P. Holland, Israel Sovereign, and George Troxell. The original equipment was purchased from the Cornell Watch Co. C.W. Parket and P.H. Wheeler, former employees at the Cornell Watch Co., were employed at the Rockford factory.
Construction of the Rockford Watch Co. factory is completed.
The first Rockford Watch Co. movement was offered for sale - a 18s gilt fullplate keywind movement.
The Rockford Watch Co. factory is producing 70 watches per day, well behind the market demand.
The Rockford Watch Co. explores the possibility of relocating the operation to the west coast.
The Rockford Watch Co. is producing around 150 movements per day, and 350 people are employed.
Hosmer P. Holland resigns from the Rockford Watch Co.
The The Ottawa Free Trader newspaper reports that the Rockford Watch Co. will relocate to another area of town in order to build a larger factory and hotel.
Stockholders declare insolvency and assign all assets and debts of the Rockford Watch Company to Mr. Irwin French.
The company reorganizes as the Rockford Watch Co. Ltd. and becomes a subsidiary of the Illinois Watch Case Company, headed by Jacob Franks and Max C. Eppenstein.
A fire occurs at the Rockford Watch Co. factory.
The Rockford Watch Co. factory is struck by lightning.
The Rockford Watch Co. lays off 75 factory workers due to slowing business.
After manufacturing nearly 1 million watches, the Rockford Watch Co. ceases operations and closes.